You might feel yourself like a lawyer that argues a case in the court when writing a persuasive speech. The very name speaks for itself. The persuasive speech aims to convince somebody. In order to create a great persuasive speech, you should know quite a few convincing techniques that will be helpful. You might defend the topic or be against it. Your task is to prove whether something is beneficial or harmful, right or wrong, exists or not.
Persuasive speech writing might be quite a challenging task even if you have done it previously. It is not only the writing process that might cause trouble. It might be hard to convince somebody to a certain point of view. That is why we have gathered some of the most helpful tips that you should bear in mind.
From the technical side, we can distinguish a five-step writing process for persuasive speech writing. This approach will help you polish your paper from the technical side and make it look professionally composed:
• Create a pre-writing version for your speech. When following the steps, you will be able to organize your essay, create a good outline and structure, do the proper research, and estimate the overall result.
• The outline is the skeleton of your essay. It is something that makes the writing look good together. Write the introductory paragraph, then a few body paragraphs, and the concluding one.
• Revise your speech. Make sure the speech has true to life facts, relevant statistics, quotes, or examples from life. Check if the first paragraph sparks the interest that lasts up till the end.
• Edit your essay. Check it for correctness and errors. Make sure that it contains no grammatical or lexical mistakes.
After following all the tips from the technical side, you can follow the tips that were gathered from professionals in this field:
• Since the golden key of this type of speech is to persuade somebody, you have to gain the trust of the reader. It can be done by different means. For example, you should write in a narrative way. Try not to use long words and complicated sentences. Avoid difficult constructions that might confuse the speaker. It is not needed in this type of speech. Imagine that you are talking about a certain topic and try to write down your thoughts. Afterward, you will do enough correction and shape your perfect persuasive speech.
• People are interested in listening to different stories. Narratives spark the interest. That is why it will be quite a handy tip to incorporate your own experience from life. It will not only be interesting for the reader to proceed. It will also make them believe that the topic you’re defending has some evidence that you rely on.
• Be honest. The best tip for you will be is to listen to your heart and speak from it. It might sound quite obvious but you will see it yourself. The more honest you are, the easier it will be to create a speech. It’ll be easier to speak from your heart if the theme of your speech is relevant and you’re interested in it. That is why, if there is a chance, make sure to write about something you like to speak about. People will notice the engagement and will be pleasantly surprised by your speech.
• Bear in mind - the persuasive speeches should be short, sharp, and concise. A five-minute speech might seem an easy task to complete but in reality, it is way harder. The reason is logical. When you have a limited time, you always try to squeeze all the information in the right way and not to lose some important phrases. The less time you have, the fewer tricks you can use to impress the reader. Try to challenge yourself and cut the sentences or even paragraphs without losing the main idea.
• A great helper to the previous trip would be the precise and correct structure. If the structure of the speech is messed up the reader will be confused and will lose focus. You should know how to start writing, continue, and finish it. This is a real art. That is why you have to be careful not only with what you want to say but how you say it as well.